01 March, 2017

TOYAH ON
BBC RADIO 2
WITH STEVE WRIGHT
(AND MARTIKA & PAUL YOUNG)
28.2.2017


STEVE WRIGHT: (Paul Young, Martika) And Toyah – simply one of UK's biggest household names, with 15 Top 40 singles, four gold and platinum selling albums and the star of stage and screen and all three of them are here! How was that for an intro, Toyah?

TOYAH: I'm really impressed! You've got three great people in here plus you … I mean this is - (Steve laughs)

STEVE: Three great people – excluding me you mean? And Janey (Lee Grace, part of the studio team).

TOYAH: Janey is the voice of reason.

STEVE: The way we've got this set out this afternoon is that Janey is sat on my left with Paul and then in front of me are Martika and Toyah. So we've got like a full studio – all mikes going. It's exciting, don't you think?

PAUL YOUNG: Very exciting.

STEVE: How are you Paul, I haven't seen you in forever?

PAUL: Haven't you?

STEVE: No!

PAUL: Yeah I'm very busy, always out and about on the road, loads of gigs and things …

STEVE: Can I just ask you - how come you're still handsome? 

PAUL: (All snigger) Errr … I was on the Lorraine Show (ITV 1) the other day and I looked at my tweet feed and someone said “had surgery” (all laugh)

STEVE: Oh no!

TOYAH: Oh I love it!

STEVE: Certainly not!

PAUL: So I gave them a one word answer.

STEVE: And you two gals – looking and sounding fantastic if you don't mind me saying that too …

 
TOYAH: Thank you!

MARTIKA: Thank you!

STEVE: Tell me about this tour that you're doing – how does it actually work? What happens?

TOYAH: We have the wonderful China Crisis – great boys from Liverpool -

STEVE: Great!

TOYAH: - They're opening and then I go on and the theory is that because I'm a bit punky and rocky and very very loud (Steve laughs) I kind of close act one and then Martika, I think you open act two -

MARTIKA: OK, yeah yeah -

TOYAH: - And Paul then kind of goes home with all the beautiful women after the show – no, that is a really bad joke!

STEVE: No, that's not true …

JANEY: Do you share a house band then because you can't keep wheeling on new musicians all the time? Right OK. So that must be really great fun for them? So they have to learn all your sets and to be able to kind of mould towards your style?

TOYAH: Absolutely. We spent last week rehearsing with them (Toyah at rehearsals, above) They sound absolutely great. You know we're all discussing each others style because we are incredibly different, these four artists.

STEVE: And you know the interesting thing Martika, is that young people know your stuff, they know all of your stuff … Because that stuff is played on the radio virtually every day, not only in Britain but also around the world. Now that's a phenomenon really, isn't it?

MARTIKA: Yeah, a lot of young kids who are like into the 80's and they enjoy the energy of it I think. It's so different to what they are growing up with now.

JANEY: My son got introduced to her because I was hearing him listening to and singing along to Eminem's version of “Toy Soldiers” so I walk in the room singing along and he's outraged and it's like “when have you been listening ..” and I said “sweetie, it's all been done before”.

MARTIKA: Let me educate you, right? It's got the sample … (all laugh) 


STEVE: And that was what – about 2003/2004 that he sampled your stuff?

MARTIKA: I think.

TOYAH: You look out there and you've got teenagers singing all your lyrics back at you and you're exactly right – they're discovering this music for themselves and making it their own. And for some reason the 80's just really resonates with the younger audiences.

STEVE: Yeah. What songs are you going to be doing then, Martika?

MARTIKA: So I'm doing -

STEVE: - This one you can get, you can get this one -

MARTIKA: “Martika's Kitchen", yeah, (Steve laughs) and my version of Carol King's “I Feel The Earth Move” -

STEVE: Oh yeah, that's great!

MARTIKA: “Love Thy Will Be Done” and “More Than You Know” and “Toy Soldiers”.

STEVE: Superb. (To Toyah) And you'll be doing “It's A Mystery” - you'll be doing -

TOYAH: “I Wanna Be Free”, “Brave New World”, “Rebel Run”, “It's A Mystery”, “Thunder In The Mountains” and “Echo Beach”, which I had a hit with. 


STEVE: Oh yeah yeah! And do you do all the old routines as well? As I recall – what's the second one you said?

TOYAH: “It's A Mystery”? “I Wanna Be Free”?

STEVE: “I Wanna Be Free” - you did a king of swinging thing where you swung from side to side?

TOYAH: I'm not known for being still anyway, it will be eventful

STEVE: Would there be a possibility of you wearing that red wig or anything like that?

TOYAH: What I'm wearing has already been featured in the Daily Mail because they thought I was semi-naked when I last wore it (above)(Steve laughs) I'm just trying to find a way of wearing and not looking semi-naked underneath. So I'm known for dressing up and I will be quite (sic) eye spotting …

STEVE: You're post-punk now aren't you?

TOYAH: I'm almost 59 years old, I'm post everything! (they all crack up) I'm seriously post-punk!

STEVE: And you're still acting and doing all the other stuff?

TOYAH: Yeah, lots of movies – got seven movies this year lined up -

STEVE: Seven?!

TOYAH: Seven.

STEVE: Really?

JANEY: Do you sleep?

TOYAH: No, but nice cameo roles, good fun cameo roles.

STEVE: Oh brilliant. And what songs will you be doing, Paul?

PAUL: “Love Of The Common People”, “Every Time You Go Away”, “Come Back And Stay”, “Otis Blue” - which is a little bit more 90's, I'm going to sneak one from the last album that came out last year, just one song. “Wherever I Lay My Hat” - I'll be doing that as well.

STEVE: We've got Thursday 2nd of March in Rhyl Pavillion – this is the 80's Invasion Tour featuring Toyah and Martika and Paul, and then Friday Leicester De Montford Hall, The Victoria Hall in Stoke on the 4th of March and then onto lots of venues. That's fantastic! Awesome to see you guys, thank you very much for coming in! Paul, Martika and Toyah! Thank you very much! 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home